ABE

Mon May 7 23:22:16 EDT 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001 16:52:26 EDT, HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

>I saw lots of acceptable copies for not very much, but maybe my standards are
>lower than yours -- and that later American edition being no good throws a
>spanner in the works, as a couple of the ones I saw may well have been that.

I'm glad someone repeated that warning.  I'd forgotten the discussion, but
of course I don't want the butchered edition.

>Anyway, ABE is not a monolithic entity. I've found that if you just keep
>checking back, someone will have a reasonably-priced copy sometime.

I use ABE a lot--I like it better than Bibliofind, though they list pretty
much the same sellers--and have gotten several wonderful deals through that
service.  But those have mostly been books I've been searching for for a
long time, ones that I'm willing to pay a little more than average used-book
prices for.  My problem is that when you get to the cheaper, say $5
paperbacks, the shipping costs drive that price up by a few dollars, so the
actual price is more like $7-10.  I'm still too much of a cheapskate to
spend that much on a paperback unless I really really want it.  Cheaper than
that (where the total cost really is $5) the quality is usually pretty low,
and I don't want to spend *anything* on a book that's going to fall apart.
I really hate paying good money to replace books.

Anyway, I will keep watching ABE.  I get notices occasionally for some of
the rarer stuff on my list, and I need to just filter out those Book Rescue
people.  Apparently rescuing books means encasing them in gold leaf with
diamond clasps.

Melissa Proffitt