OT: Romantic characters

Liz Ottosson elizabethottosson at cableinet.co.uk
Mon May 7 06:40:21 EDT 2001

Anna wrote:
> I have a feeling that this may not be the same man. In Warlock
> the actor is
> billed as Richard Grant (minus E) and I thought he was rather gorgeous. I
> then came across REG and thought "that's not him!"
> REG's most famous role is, of course, in Withnail and I, along a young and
> sublimely beautiful Paul McGann.

According to Richard E Grant's wonderful film memoirs, With Nails, he was
indeed in Warlock. This book is great for several reasons:

1. You'll laugh, you'll cry (true, and probably both in the first chapter)
2. REG's description of himself accidentally downing a pint of beer during
filming for Withnail & I and then throwing it straight back up (I seem to
remember he might be slightly allergic to beer?).
3. Sundry other trials and tribulations he undergoes for the sake of
Withnail.
4. His rather bemused (and platonic) adoration of Uma Thurman, and his
description of her crush on Gary Oldman. (OK, I know it wasn't just a crush
& that they got married, etc, but as he describes it she's like this excited
girl who's just met the man of her dreams.)
5. Gary Oldman wandering onto the set going, "All right, me old mucker?"
6. Tales of Dracula: Francis Ford Coppola takes the cast off to his mansion
in the country to work on Dracula.
7. Anthony Hopkins being lovely and REG just worshipping him.
8. REG going clubbing with Madonna.

ObDWJ: Howl is definitely my DWJ crush so far. But I'm intrigued by the fact
that all the suggestions of people to play him on-screen have been people
with dark hair. I always pictured him with blond hair - have I missed
something? And my suggestion would be Jonny Lee Miller, who can be very sexy
either blond or dark, and could perfectly act Howl's childishness, trantrums
and innate sweetness :-).

Liz O