A Very Deep Secret (spoilers)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun May 6 11:09:04 EDT 2001

>In a message dated 5/5/01 5:30:52 AM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:
>
>>Are there bush ladies on the other end, telling you to be more ladylike???
>
>The Bush Goddess, now that I consider her, sounds more and more like Aunt
>Maria. (IIRC, the autobiographic summary on the web site identified Aunt M
>with a mother-in-law)

Hmm...  I didn't catch that on the autobio.. I've only read _Black
Maria_ once, so that's got to get a reread sometime too.

>And speaking of autobiography, didn't Deep Secret come out just about the
>same time that someone on the list noted those Jones first editions inscribed
>to her mother on that (was it auction?) site.

I'm pretty sure DS was out quite a bit earlier.  No, now I've checked
and am quite sure.  DS was published in 97 and I only joined the list
in 99.  And it was someone here who mentioned the books.  (It was a
regular on-line book shop in the UK, BTW).

>And apart from all that, as to Nick, yes, he IS a selfish kid. He was brought
>up to it and has nice solid demonstratins of how to be selfish from both of
>his parents. He is also at a fairly self-centered age. But selfishness is not
>the only factor in his disposition. He is also basically a very decent sort
>and clever with it. His underlying selfishness can be transcended when the
>situation absolutely requires it. And, for his age he does have a fairly
>well-developed ethical sense, at least.
>
>Selfishness is much maligned, and a great deal of evil can be ascribed to it,
>but it is not necessarily the ultimate vice after all.

I agree completely.  Nick had to have a certain degree of
ruthlessness/selfishness to survive his mother.  But - oh, the
spoiler space is gone, so I'll keep this generic.  What Ven was
talking about would have been unforgiveably selfish, given the
circumstances.  And, as you said, he's also a decent person, and
obviously capable of affection.  Maybe, come to think of it, early
contact with Maree is what gave him the ability to care for others.
That's off the top of my head though...

Hallie.