OT: Bad writing

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 4 23:21:10 EDT 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001 lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu wrote:

> Someone sent this list of some winners of the Bulwer Lytton contest
> (run by the English Department of San Jose State University),
> wherein one writes only the first line of a bad novel. I don't know
> how recent these are (I don't think they've had this year's contest
> yet), but some of them were so funny I wanted to pass them on.

>From Bulwer-Lytton.com (printed in large print on the main page):

     The following is being falsely reported as the winner of this
     year's contest. It was the runner-up in 1983:
     ["The sun oozed over the horizon, etc."]

Some more digging around the site shows that all the quotes on the
list are genuine Bulwer-Lytton contest entries, but not in the same
year, nor any recent year: they're drawn from various years between
1983 and 1992.

This year's contest results won't be announced until July, apparently.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."