(fwd) Children's Fantasy Fiction Debates for the 21st C. (UK) (8/1/01;1/7/02-1/9/02)

Thu May 3 01:38:53 EDT 2001

This came from a Tolkien mailing list by way of Reading For the Future, an
organization founded by the "Killer B's" (David Brin, Greg Bear, and Gregory
Benford) (I think Benford is the third) designed to promote the reading of
speculative fiction among children and young adults.  Get them while they're
young, I always say.  :)  Has anyone in the UK heard anything about this?
Since they're calling for papers right now, they might not be publicizing it

yet.  But don't I wish I lived in England right now.  (I usually do wish
this.  Just some times more than others.)

Melissa Proffitt
--------------Forwarded message follows---------------------------------
Children's Fantasy Fiction Debates for the Twenty First Century
7th, 8th & 9th January 2002, Bulmershe College, University of Reading UK

An Interdisciplinary conference hosted by the Science Fiction Foundation and
the Association for Research in Popular Fictions

Advance Call for Papers and Panel Convenors - Abstracts for 25 minute
presentations should be submitted by 1st August 2001 on all areas of
research concerning children's fantasy fiction across media or popular
cultural forms e.g. books, graphic novels, radio, television, film, games,
story telling and toys which will make a contribution to a forum on new
approaches and research perspectives for this field of study.

Please send proposals by August 1st 2001 to Helen Briscoe, Conference
Administrator, MCCA, Liverpool John Moores University, Dean Walters Building
St James Road, Liverpool L1 7BR UK
E-mail h.briscoe at livjm.ac.uk
Fax  + 44 151 231 5049
Tel + 44 151 231 5052