A sinister topic

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 19:47:18 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Kyla's signature said:
>
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > Why do an infinite number of monkeys always want to type
> > "Hamlet"? What's wrong with "Macbeth"? Why not something
> > by Dickens or Poe?
> >         --Tom Knapp
>
> There's a skit by David Ives in "All in the Timing" which is about
> three monkeys trying to type Hamlet. One of them comes up with "It
> was the best of times, it was the worst of times", but trashes it.

There's a short story I read once, where a statistician tells a friend
about the monkeys-randomly-typing-Hamlet thing and the friend, in a
fit of boredom, buys twenty monkeys and twenty typewriters and sticks
them in his basement to see what happens.

What happens is that each immediately starts typing a different work
of classic literature, letter perfect.

As I recall, one of them is just starting work on 'A Tale of Two
Cities' when the statistician, who has been brought to see this
marvel, goes mad and shoots them all.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."