What's this list for?

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 08:41:34 EST 2001

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:38:05 EST, Voicebearer at aol.com wrote:
>
> >I joined this list recently in the hope of seeing and
> joining in discussion
> >about Diana Wynne Jones's books and other children's fantasy
> literature.
>
> >So far there seems to have been correspondence mainly about
> tea, Marmite,
> >Bovril and jello/jelly. Have I hit a bad patch? Should I
> stay? Is it always
> >like this? Have I missed something?
>
> For some reason, this list occasionally goes off on the
> subject of food.
> Someone will make an innocent comment, and it sparks long
> discussions about
> food in general.

And every list seems to have its own OT, but volume generating topics!
Hair and names are girlsown ones (but we do food too!)
Another list I'm on can get fairly lengthy on the subject of household
appliances...its what happens when you try to avoid religion and politics!

I think that unless you have a properly (i.e. severely) moderated list where
the mods actually vet every post to make sure its on topic, that mailing
list WILL WANDER!
And I think that is a GOOD THING. DWJ is great, but friends and community
are not constructed out of book discussions alone.

Anita