A trip to the library

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 31 01:36:29 EST 2001

I went to the library today to pick up 'Year of the Griffin', which
has finally worked its way through the reserve list to me.
It's now on my to-read pile, just under 'Stardust' and 'Dark Lord of
Derkholm'.

While I was at the library, I went into the children's section in
search of a book which has been there for years (despite the murders
and sex scenes) but which now, it appears, has disappeared, just when
I needed it. Unable to find it, and somewhat at a loss, I recalled
saying on the list that it's been far too long since I last read
Margaret Mahy's story collection 'The Chewing Gum-Rescue'. In fact, I
realised, it's been far too long since I last read anything by
Margaret Mahy. I swooped down upon the MAH shelf, and picked off a few
familiar titles.

"Maybe," I said to myself then, "I should get that book they keep
mentioning on the dwj list -- what's it called? 'The Changeover'?"
So I looked for it, but couldn't see it. I headed to the computer
catalogue, which said that the library did have a copy, and that this
copy (despite the evidence of my senses) was on the shelf in the
children's section.

Oh well, said I, I'll go and have another look, and if it's still not
there, I'll have to make do with (glance down at books in arms) 'Blood
& Thunder etc.', 'The Changeover', and 'The Chewing-Gum Rescue'...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."