A sinister topic

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Sat Mar 31 15:46:59 EST 2001

Hmm. . . maybe I'll take up Hebrew.  I like being left-handed, a lot; I
once wrote an essay on why I was "ambisinister."  I've always found that
in certain types of groups (ranging from fantasy fanclubs of various kinds
to "talented youth" summer camps to detention) there is a higher
percentage of left-handed people than you would, statistically,
expect.  And so I was curious if it would be that way on this list, too.

I like being left handed.  There are a dozen small annoyances--having to
tilt the paper when you write, having certain types of notebooks that are
harder to write in, getting ink on your hands when you carelessly use a
fountain pen (and I love fountain pens--any other takers?), going to a
school where at least two of my classes, EVERY SEMESTER, meet in a
classroom where I have to use a right handed desk or help myself to
another to be comfortable, bumping elbows with people sitting to your left
at dinner. . . . . and I've been taking a tennis class this semester where
I finally figured out that it works best if I serve left handed but
actually play right handed. . . only it took me a month to figure it out
and so I'm always having trouble remembering which foot to move and which
hand I'm supposed to be using when and so on and so forth. . . . . .

I do know that when using proper Japanese calligraphy (Japanese is written
from top to bottom, right to left--though this has begun to vary since the
introduction of western culture) you're always only supposed to use your
right hand, and hold it directly in front of your body.  This is according
to a lecture I sat through once on the connection between Zen and writing,
so it might just be a Zen thing.

But I do like being left handed.  Most of the annoyances, I have found,
you can learn to live with.  I just can't imagine being forced to write
with my right hand and all that. . . I can see how that would shape Cat's
talent.  As for the eyes in the back of Michael's head. . . . I always
sort of thought he saw what was going on and confronted Cat with it in a
way that would have the most effect.

lizzie

     (who also takes six million times as long to crocet things as most
people because she was taught by various right handed people/from books
that made no sense and so came up with her own very very very slow way to
do it.)