OT: Connie Willis

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 30 15:06:21 EST 2001

Hello all,

first, may I just say how delighted I've been with all the oodles and
oodles of posts, on topic and otherwise--what a feast it's been.

second, my profuse thanks to Becca and to everyone else who recommended
Connie Willis.  Over the past couple of months, I've read Doomsday
Book, Lincoln's Dreams, as well as the short story collections Fire Watch
and Impossible Things, and I've been simply blown away.  I practically
never cry over books and movies, but her two novels and a good many of her
stories (especially "Chance", in Impossible Things, and "The Last of the
Winnebagos") had me in *tears*.  She's so fantastic at creating intensely
sympathetic characters and intensely sympathizable-with situations, and
tragedy that leaves one moved and uplifted rather than simply depressed.
And her sense of humour is *wicked*.  So thank you, thank you, thank you.
I'm waiting for her next book (May!  May!) on tenterhooks.

Alexandra