Tea

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Sat Mar 31 12:09:47 EST 2001

>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:20:02 -0600, Nat Case wrote:
>
>>One of my heroes is Bill Watterston ("Calvin and
>>Hobbes") who has NEVER allowed marketing of ANYTHING other than books
>>and the original comic strip. Not that a stuffed Hobbes wouldn't be a
>>fun thing to have around the house, but even tasteful stuff (Peanuts
>>materials for the most part, for example) really dilutes the effect
>>of the original work.
>
>Bill needs to get to work enforcing his policy then.  I am *so* sick of
>seeing Calvin peeing on whatever some yahoo wants to denigrate (like a Ford
>logo on a Chevy bumper sticker and vice versa)..

And there you have the problem. His revenue stream from Calvin Hobbes
has slowed considerably (, and it takes lots of money to enforce
copyright, especially trying to track down fly-by-night operations
that make bumperstickers, etc. Especially when your copyrighted
character is adopted as a symbol of middle-finger-up to authority (R
Crumb hates "Keep on Truckin'", Bill Groening isn't too keen on Bart
Simpson ripoffs, and I'm sure it makes Bill Watterson seethe when he
passes a car with that on it). Bur realistically, how much can he do?
It's a problem.

Nat