A sinister topic

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 14:06:39 EST 2001

--- Kyla Tornheim <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> so, all you lefties--when reading the bit in
> "Charmed Life" when Cat is
> trying to write his essay about King Canute, did you
> say "That sounds so
> familiar" about the bit where he has to turn his
> book sideways so as not
> to smudge the ink with his left hand? I took a
> calligraphy class once, and
> had a *dreadful* time not making a mess of my hand
> and the paper...

it's become so second nature to me to turn the paper
sideways that i had to deliberately watch myself try
to write to check this -- but yes, definitely, it's
absolutely mandatory to turn the paper sideways.
<grin>  that's actually one of my favorite things
about Chinese calligraphy -- 1) you write from top to
bottom, right to left, and 2) proper technique
dictates that no matter what hand you use you're not
supposed to allow your hand to touch the paper.  so
the usual lefty disadvantages don't apply.
that part of Charmed Life -- Cat being forced to write
with his right hand, that is -- always made me
cringe... probably one of my parents was forced to do
that, because both of them write with their right
hands, but 2 out of 3 of their children are lefties.
it seems so needlessly cruel.

> and how do people think Michael Saunders could see
> what Cat was doing even
> when his back was turned? Is there an "eyes in the
> back of your
> head" spell?

well, in Witch Week it was definitely implied to be a
spell... or at least some type of magic...

--jenwa.