Margaret Mahy (was "120 messages!!!")

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:20:51 EST 2001

>From: "Nat Case" <ncase at hedbergmaps.com>
>How about Philippa Pearce? Her short story collections are wonderful.
>Or one of Tim Wynne-Jones'.

I'd been thinking of Tim Wynne-Jones, but his aren't really quite fantasy
stories. They are full of a sense of wonderment, but nothing supernatural
actually happens. But I do think "Save the Moon for Kerdy Dickus" could make
a nice sensible addition to a fantasy collection. Speaking of TWJ, have you
read his "The Maestro"? I was blown away by it. I think it would make a
*perfect* movie, if I were in the film industry I'd pounce on the rights.

I didn't know Philippa Pearce wrote short stories! I've only read "Tom's
Midnight Garden", which I liked, and "A Dog so Small", which I didn't. I'll
have to look up her stories.

So far this short story collection is mostly an intellectual pursuit, but
when things slow down a little at work I will actually start writing letters
to rights-holders and see if I can put together a good collection. I like
the Terry Pratchett story from "Hidden Turnings", and I'd like to put in
something of Neil Gaiman's...