Off topic: the social context of anoraks (Wrinkle in Time)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Mar 29 03:01:22 EST 2001

After the nightmare scene in Bristol (well, both nightmares really),
Tom "squashed her face against his old anorak for a second."  I was
sure it was in F&H somewhere!

Wax jackets, Sally, look less weird over here.  I _think_ (and I
could be very wrong about this, so take it FWIW) that they started
with the Country crowd (fox-hunting types etc.), and came down-market
later.  All I know for sure is that coming over to Ireland from
Tucson, I found that a wax-jacket was the only thing I could find
offering a lot of rain and wind protection for £30.  (About 40 US
dollars.)  Guess I couldn't see Crestomanci wearing one either, but
then, I hardly see the rain and wind daring to importune him to the
same extent is does us lesser mortals!

Hallie.