Tea

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Mar 28 20:20:02 EST 2001

>I hate marketing.  The whole profession has become perverted.  I apologize
>if there are marketers on the list, but the profession has long abandoned
>its original purpose of informing consumers.  The profession is now
>dedicated to "overcoming obstacles" or "motivating purchase".  Which is just
>pretty words for "get them to do something they don't want and probably
>shouldn't do".  I have *no* support from marketing for restrained spending,
>budgets, and informed purchasing decisions--all of which are vital to the
>fiscal health of my family.  Buy NOW! is the motto regardless of if you can
>afford it or even if you want it.

What I hate is not marketing (identifying potential customers and
efficiently offering your competitive product/service for sale). As a
small publisher, we don't do enough marketing (guess what I've been
working on much of the last three weeks instead of map production),
and that means our maps aren't familiar or even available to those
who might want them.

What I hate is people who use marketing to conceal the actual poor
quality of their products, or who leverage one or two good products
to sell other stuff that's worthless: "Accurate" and "up-to-date" are
meaningless in the map industry, because everyone advertises their
five-year-old street map as accurate and up-to-date, and a certain
giant map company that shall remain nameless has been riding for
years on the reputation of its quite accurate road atlas

I love it when word of mouth sells a product, but that's a slow-build
sort of thing, and usually there the manufacturer is sitting on
inventory, or there the service provider sits twiddling his/her
thumbs. Hence marketing.

I know Harry Potter's release was built up for, but the phenomenon
was originally built on word-of-mouth. What bugs me now is how much
garbage is being marketed at kids. There's some fun stuff in there
(the Comic Relief-benefit mini-books, for instance), but it all gets
lumped together. One of my heroes is Bill Watterston ("Calvin and
Hobbes") who has NEVER allowed marketing of ANYTHING other than books
and the original comic strip. Not that a stuffed Hobbes wouldn't be a
fun thing to have around the house, but even tasteful stuff (Peanuts
materials for the most part, for example) really dilutes the effect
of the original work.

It's the biggest reason I have mixed feelings about a DWJ movie,  and
that I'm glad she's only quite successful, not Rowling-sucessful.
Imagine, Chrestomanci action figures advertised everywhere!