Set Pieces was re what's this list for

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 20:11:43 EST 2001

Hi everyone one, before I start this my computer just went glitchy,
 and I'm not sure if I just sent an erroneous message, sorry if i did.

Sally wrote
>I 've just reread YotG and goggled anew at the glorious set-piece in which
> the Emperor Titus  finally  .................  I *love* set pieces
> if they're as stylish as this one.

Me too. The "Inspector" scene in Witch Week is one of the best
DWJ. And the pirates in the Dining room in YOG. Btw did you all
see in Diana's Answers, where she said two characters in YOG
were based on unsympathetic doctors, and she turned one into a
bar stool. Lol.

Lois MacMasters Bujold does very good set pieces too, especially
parties and council chamber scenes on Barrayer. Oh and that
dreadful dinner party in  A Civil Affair, I laughed so much at that I i
was glad I wasn't on a bus. Guy Gavriel Kay does this very well
too, but I wonder if he doesn't take it too far, subordinating
everythiing to stringing these flashy sps together. Sometimes it
seems a bit heartless to me.
                                           Ven.