What's this list for?

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Mar 28 09:01:38 EST 2001

>We had a very interesting discussion about Year of the Griffin not very
>long ago

I've just reread YotG and goggled anew at the glorious set-piece in which
the Emperor Titus -

finally sorts out all his senate etc.  I *love* set pieces if they're as
stylish as this one. Other set pieces I can recommend include Nick's
Breakfast from Deep Secret, the Parade of the Lives from Charmed Life, the
Green Slime Exporesso from Howl's Moving Castle and Nan's Descriptive Meal
from Witch Week.

Other authors have provided glorious pieces in - Heyer's THE UNKNOWN AJAX -
the set piece where everyone pretends the wounded brother is merely drunk,
and that lovely bit in The Perilous Gard where Kate mocks Christopher back
into his self.

I go back and reread my favourite pieces about twice as often as I read the
actual books.

Sallyo.