tea

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 28 08:53:48 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Ven wrote:

> dunno why its margerine, but it
> has to be the solid cooking kind as the spreadable stuff has too
> much water.

Never use that anyway. I buy cooking margarine to fry things that
don't like to be fried in oil, like pancakes and omelettes.

> I'm not sure whether butter works.

Probably does.

> When I was in the Netherlands, 1980, you wouldn't have been able to
> find cornflakes or rice Krispies very easily either. Have things
> changed much on the food front?

I think there are about 20 different kinds of breakfast cereal in the
supermarket I go to, most of them the "healthy" kind; cornflakes and
rice krispies are old hat already. I remember thinking that
cornflakes were a fabulous foreign food when I was a child (in the
sixties) but I can't imagine them being unusual in the eighties.
Anyway, I spent 1978-1980 in England :-)

The only granola-type things I like are Jordan's maple and pecan (but
I prefer the bars) and Quaker's Energy Mix, which we call "exciting
cornflakes".

> I got told off for putting jam on my groggebrod

"roggebrood" (rye bread) ;-)

> (thin slices of black rye bread to everyone else) and I didn't think
> that was strange at all.  Apparently it was supposed to be eaten
> with a slice of cheese and a slice of ordinary brown bread ........

I don't think it's strange at all. But then I can't stand the stuff
whatever you put on it.

> Anyhow Irina, I hope you can find the golden syrup and the recipe
> works for you.

I'll try the American deli in Amsterdam when I go there anyway on
Saturday (if it still exists). I have a strange craving for golden
syrup (probably PMT coming up). I happen to have plenty of maple
syrup, but somehow I don't think that will work, it's much too thin,
even if the flavour would be great. I also have some chocolate
krispies, just short of a portion, that I could experiment with.

   Irina