New Answers from DWJ /spoilers Stealer of souls

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Wed Mar 28 05:14:39 EST 2001

Bodil Gram schrieb:

>  I am sure you will all clutch the edge of the table and read
> feverishly on when you get to tidbits like these:

Oh yes indeed.

> Question:   Will there be anymore full-length Chrestomanci Novels?
>
> Diana's Reply:   Let's hope so. The trouble is that my imagination doesn't
> work either to order or the way I think it does. And I like Cat too, but
> he's a difficult person, particularly as he gets older.

I've been thinking about this since I read Stealer of Souls, too. I am not
certain how long this strory is set after Charmed Life, but Cat doesn't seem to
have found much self confidence in the meantime.

SPOILER WARNING FOR STEALER OF SOULS:
*
*
*
*
*
*
He stills thinks of himself as the "smallest and lonliest person" in the
castle. Which I found a bit odd, since Janet has lost her parents more
recently, and was happy with them. She also has to acclimate to a whole new
world. But then, she also seemed very practical and not prone to self pity.
Which I feel Cat indulges in in this story. He's also very critical towards
himself. I think it would be very interesting to see how he develops and comes
to terms with becoming Chrestomanci.

And while I'm talking about Stealer of Souls, a bit of nitpicking: Mordecai
scolds Cat because he didn't cast a spell against Tonino's travel sickness,
saying there are very many. But Tonino also tells Cat that he was really very
sick on the journey to England. Why didn't Chrestomanci help him? Once could of
course argue that he was really exhausted after the events in Magicians of
Caprona...
*
*
*
*
*
*
END OF THIS PART

As an aside, I found it interesting that DWJ speaks of "Cat and Chrestomanci"
in one of the answers, as if Christopher in her mind really is *the*
Chrestomanci. "Really cut out for this post" as he himself finds out in LoCC. I
wonder how Cat will be as Chrestomanci? Blond 'n handsome and terribly cool?
:-) Maybe he'll develope a different style. He seemed to get along with people
easily (in CL, he had many friends before moving to the castle, and got along
with Julia and Roger quite well) But what kind of style? What do you think?

And my "favorite answer", also to a question about another Chrestomanci book
(which I would love, too).

 "I keep wanting to fill in the gap, when Christopher is about 15 and getting
terribly interested in clothes and girls, but so far this has not happened."

Oh my! This is so --- <looking for words> so utterly --- <exciting? funny
(imagine him trying on his first dressing gown)? interesting (I've been
wondering how his relationship with Millie developed. Even thinking things
like, maybe he thought they were just very good friends, and then she comes
from school and talks about a brother of a girl, and he is shocked that she
would even think of such an ordinary boy, perhaps finding out that only *he* is
not ordinary. Or maybe Millie explicitly wanted someone "normal"?)?> --- words
fail me :-)
I really hope "something is going to happen".

Bettina