Marie of Romania?

Bill Edminster bedminst at mc.net
Tue Mar 27 20:53:00 EST 2001

  Marie of Romania was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, prominent in the '20s
and '30s, and was sort of the Princess Diana of her day.  She may have been a
social arbiter but was more renowned in the US as a trophy for the nouveau riche
as a necessary fixture at a successful dinner party.  Romania was too nouveau
royale to be as impressive as the Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor) was
when he made his world tour but everyone in America wanted to see Marie.  I
think she was mother of the next King of Romania (Carol?) who was weak and
controlled by the Romania brand of fascists, before everything fell apart in
Romania with first the Nazis then the Communists.