Pickles (was: Re: Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...)

Tue Mar 27 20:21:51 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:36:21 , Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>Melissa asked about pickles:
>Have you never been served pickled vegetables other than cucumbers?

I'd forgotten about sauerkraut, which is one of my favorite foods, but no, I
have never been served pickled anything other than cucumbers.  But I also
live in Salt Lake City, which has the largest number of terrible foreign
food restaurants of any US city.  That is, you can get just about any kind
of world cuisine here, but it is mostly awful.

>In Israeli restaraunts that serve middle-eastern food it is quite common to
>serve pickles as a standard dish before you've even placed your orders.
>There will always be olives and pickles (cucumbers) in the dish, and often
>pickled cabbage, cauliflower or radishes, and sometimes sliced raw onions.

Yum.  That sounds so good!  I particularly like the thought of pickled
cauliflower, don't know why....

I love the story about your grandmother and the pickled apples, too.  :)

Melissa Proffitt