tea

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 19:02:37 EST 2001

>I wrote:
>
> > Try heating lots of treacle/golden syrup with margarine, cocoa
> > powder and a bit of brown sugar. Turn it down when it reaches
> > vigorous boil, cool a bit, add rice crispies or cornflakes.
> > Excellent emergency pmt buster ;-).

and Irina asked
> Why not butter? And where can I get golden syrup?

Can't help with the golden syrup, dunno why its margerine, but it
has to be the solid cooking kind as the spreadable stuff has too
much water. I'm not sure whether butter works. When I was in the
Netherlands, 1980, you wouldn't have been able to find cornflakes
or rice Krispies very easily either. Have things changed much on
the food front? Us English seemed to scandalise Dutch people
then with our "odd" food combinations. OK so sprinkles and
muisjes on ham and cheese were a bit peculiar, the perpetrators
were just bored, but I got told off for putting jam on my groggebrod
(thin slices of black rye bread to everyone else) and I didn't think
that was strange at all.  Apparently it was supposed to be eaten
with a slice of cheese and a slice of ordinary brown bread ........

Anyhow Irina, I hope you can find the golden syrup and the recipe
works for you.
                                           Ven.