Peanut butter

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Mar 27 16:30:05 EST 2001

Hallie wrote:

> Becca and I spent the first year after we moved to Ireland missing US
> peanut butter dreadfully.  Tried health foody and supermarket
> varieties to no avail.  As soon as we could when we went back, we got
> what used to be our favourite brand, and guess what?  It tasted like
> chicken fat mixed with far too much sugar.  Nasty.

But don't you find that that happens with lots of food?  After you get
used to the low fat or non fat version, the regular kind is
revolting.  For example, I actually MUCH prefer the nonfat kind of
saltines (compared by others to styrofoam, and understandably so).  When I
was sick a week and a half ago, my friend got me the kind of saltines they
had in the school bookstore, and those things (just regular saltines) are
revolting--like eating shortening.  Same with regular Pringles and the
lowfat kind, regular yogurt and the nonfat kind, Cool Whip, salad
dressing, so on and so forth.  If only that held true for popcorn and ice
cream (though the Haagen Daz lowfat strawberry is pretty good, if rare).

Anyone ever had the Jif chocolate peanut butter stuff?  I've seen it, and
thought about trying it, but never quite got around to it.  Oh, and I will
just state my opinion here (because I know that I'm never going to have a
discussion like this again :^D): there is a kind of stuff which I believe
is called "Goober" something or other.  It is a jar containing a mix of
peanut butter and jelly.  It is one of the most revolting things I have
ever seen.

And because I just remembered this: does anyone else remember a series
called Peanut Butter and Jelly (Baby-Sitters Club level here) about a girl
named Peanut Butterman (nickname, obviously) and her friend Jilly?

> But we do all the combos mentioned here, except the fluffer stuff and
> the banana _and_ mustard.  May have to try that one, just to say it's
> been done.
>
> Hallie.

Hmm.  Better you than me. . . . . .

lizzie