Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 27 15:14:02 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 liril at gmx.net wrote:

> O.k., now here come the Deep Secrets ;-) of German Jam...

And those of Dutch Jam.

> Fruit preserves which are made from whole fruits are called "Marmelade". You
> just take the fruits and sugar. There is special sugar for this, which contains
> pectin (as Jennifer wrote concerning Jam). When you use this, you need less
> sugar. My favorite is apricot...

That's called "jam" in Dutch, surprisingly, but only really posh
people over about 70 and pedants pronounce it the English way, most
people say "shem". There is special sugar for it, called geleisuiker
"jelly sugar" and there's also separate pectin powder so you can make
jam with even less sugar or with no sugar at all. If you don't use
enough sugar, it doesn't keep, so you either have to sterilize it or
freeze it, and use it up within days of opening.

> Then we have "Gelee", which is made only of fruit juice, so you have no bits in
> it, the consistence is different and it looks like "Wackelpudding" (that would
> be Jell-O) but it tastes very different and does not contain gelatine.

That's "gelei" and yes, it does look like bibberpudding ("tremble
pudding"). I like "Wackelpudding"!

> If you do it yourself, it a lot of work, beacuse you have to make
> the fruit juice first, which has to be clear. My grandmother used
> to do this with homegrown red currants and raspberries, and
> *nothing* you can buy can be as good as this.

My mother used to make apple jelly, but hers was too sweet for my
taste. I've never tried it myself because of that, but I'd probably
be able to make it with added pectin and avoid that.

   Irina