Tough Guide was Re Literature Abuse

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 13:36:15 EST 2001

Date sent:      	Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:23:15 -0500
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #277
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net

>Actually, I've always thought that half the Tough Guide entries
> were direct parodies of Eddings (think of the Small Man).  I
> asked DWJ in a letter once and she wouldn't name any names.

It seemed that way to me too. I thought the gay mage (one of my
favourites) was suggested by Lackey, Duane and Huff. Do you think
she could be persuaded to name the guilty and put it away in a
solicitors safe not to be opened for 30 years or something?

On the subject of the Tough Guide the addendum I'd most like to
write is about Blacksmiths: They are always Large Men,  reliable
and Good. They are natural leaders (though never Lost Heirs) and if
they are not Tour Companions then they will take over running the
village after the mayor or whoever either sells out to Evil or makes a
mess of running off the monsters. If old enough they will have a big
family.

I've been thinking about this ever since I met a real blacksmith. He
was quite short really with impressive wiry muscles, a wicked grin
and a nice little dog. he had a great way with animals of course. He
said he didn't plan to continue smithing once he was into his mid
thirties as it's hell on the back. Seeing him hold a Clydesdale's
hoof up I could believe it.
                                           Ven.