Tea

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue Mar 27 12:52:04 EST 2001

Jacob Proffitt wrote:
>There were three things that surprised me about American food when I moved
>from Germany back to the U.S.  First, everything was *so* sweet in the U.S.
>It hurt.  Second, chocolate in the U.S. is grainy and icky.

Jennifer wrote:
"Yes- it seems that there's sugar in everything- to get *bread* that doesn't
taste sweet, you have to buy bakery stuff, all the things on supermarket
shelves are "with a touch of honey" or something. Odd. But my main point is
US chocolate. This totally puzzles me. US chocolate products are *gorgeous*,
brownies and muffins and so on, and yet the actual bars of chocolate are
just awful. They taste like the really cheap chocolate that Xmas tree
ornaments are made of."

I *SO* agree.  If there is *anything* worse than a big bite of waxy,
soulless faux chocolate! Ugh! And I was *incredibly* disappointed to return
from the UK, seek out my favorite Cadbury's US-appromixation-version - only
to find it was hateful. Oh how very hateful!

"In the small print it said "made under license by Hershey's in the
USA"! Grrrr.) Why do US consumers put up with it? This is a real question,
you [generic] guys have *lots* of spending muscle, why haven't the chocolate
companies been forced to change their wicked ways?"

We are completely brainwashed.  It's true. People feel they must or should
or ought buy these brands - as if they are buying an illusion not dependent
on how the product actually *tastes* or *functions*. There's a big streak of
pride in defending wretched things against better things, too.  Is the world
weird or what???  Also, there is a lot of fear of the strange and new.  I
know a fellow who had to be coaxed for *several years* before he would try
regular, run of the mill Chinese takeaway. It's shocking. Shocking!  ;)

Just one person's opinion