Depressing

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:42:59 EST 2001

Since things have been so active here, I thought I'd share something I've
just read which I found depressing. This is a rough translation of a cover
letter sent to me with a manuscript for a book presumably intended for 4 to
6-year olds. What depresses me is that people actually think along these
lines, and believe that this type of introduction will appeal to any editor
of children's books:

"Introduction:
A book for young children, a journey of philosophical adventure
incorporating motifs of ecology and fantasy. Of philosophy this journey
includes epistemiological inquiry. The family nucleus is presented as the
stable basis, versus the fluctuating reality which must be explored.
The illustrations combine fiction with stills photography, so as to create a
duplicity of experience."

I would hesitate to write parody this pompous. Needless to say, this
introduction is about as long as the entire book, and no less inane.

Vent vent vent.

Sigh.

My standard rejection letter is far too nice for this book.