Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:02:36 EST 2001

Bettina wrote:

>Fruit preserves which are made from whole fruits are >called "Marmelade".

Just to make things confusing, in Israel "marmelada" refers to gelatinous
candies. So "marmelade" gets translated into "orange jam", or else no one
will know what you are talking about.

>There is special sugar for this, which contains
>pectin (as Jennifer wrote concerning Jam).

There's supposed to be plenty of pectin in apple peels, so AFAIK these are
often added to jams made of other fruits. My grandmother used to make vats
of apricot, strawberry and guava jam, which inevitably lacked pectin and
were more syrup than jam. She poo-poohed my idea of adding apple peels.