Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Mar 26 15:14:20 EST 2001

Melissa wondered...

> And to return to a literary thread:  I've never been farther out of this
> country than Niagara Falls, and all my experience with other countries is
> through literature (and lately this list of course).  So sometimes the
foods
> I read about aren't explained to my satisfaction.  For example, in the US
> "pickle" is always a pickled cucumber, but it sounds like the English
pickle
> all sorts of things...the reason this is literary is I was thinking about
> Mary Norton's _Bed-knob and Broomstick_ and how Miss Price turns to
> gardening and food storage as a replacement for witchcraft.  All those
jars
> of food.  What I'm mainly curious about is what it's really like nowadays.
> Do you buy jars of pickled beets and onions, or is that the sort of thing
> only strange people who live on granola make in their kitchens?

Pickle, on this side of the Atlantic, may be anything from the slice of
gherkin in you hamburger to a chutney-type relish that you put in your
sandwich.

Yes, people do buy jars of pickled beetroot or pickled onion (or gherkin, or
various other things).  And they buy jars of chutney-type stuff
("Ploughman's Pickle" is a popular relish for use in sandwiches).

And occasional weird people (like me) actually make their own.  I don't
actually much like pickles, but I make a sweet pickle of cucumber, green
pepper and onion every Xmas, and inflict it on my relatives.  They appear to
like it. :-)  I also do a pretty good lemon curd, but my jam always seems to
come out too runny.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--