Words in the head

Mon Mar 26 14:42:53 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:39:23 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:26:48 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:
>
>> > On a related topic, am I the only one who, watching a movie, finds
>> > oneself mentally drafting the novelisation?
>>
>> Nope.  I do this all the time.  Most recently, Disney's "Mulan" (I
>> have small children, and my video collection is appropriately
>> skewed).  It's entertaining.
>
>Which is entertaining, 'Mulan' or mentally drafting the novelisation?

Both.  :)

>I'm not sure what I think of 'Mulan'. There were some nice touches,
>like the fact that they didn't automatically marry the hero and
>heroine off at the end, but I didn't like the fact that Mulan wouldn't
>have achieved anything without that irritating dragon.

This is proving to be the sticking point in my imaginary novelization.  The
structure of the story is fascinating, and there's a lot of detail that's
left out in certain sections that can be inferred.  It would make a fun
fantasy novel, but Eddie Murphy does not translate well to text.

But in truth, the dragon's presence is almost entirely Plot B of the story.
It looks like Mulan couldn't have done anything without his help, but he
only acts as a catalyst for events: the dragon rewrites the orders sending
their army to the front, but Mulan does all her own training, for example.
I'm not as interested in writing _Disney's Mulan_ as I am in taking the
primary story and working that over...if I were actually doing this, and not
just daydreaming about it, it would look more like I'd written the book and
Disney had bought the rights to it and decided to put talking animals in.
:)

Melissa Proffitt