Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Mon Mar 26 12:43:40 EST 2001

> O.k., now here come the Deep Secrets ;-) of German Jam...
>
> Fruit preserves which are made from whole fruits are called "Marmelade".

Weirdly enough (for me) when I arrived in the UK, I discovered that
"marmalade" only seems to apply to preserves made of citrus fruit, mainly
oranges, but also lemon, limes etc. Everything else is either jam (generic,
"normal" preserve), jelly (strained and set), preserve(whenit actually says
that on the label. It's usu. runny and posh) and there is such a thing as
damson cheese, which has no cheese in it at all, but is a strained preserve
made with damsons (plums) and cooked until it thickens lots more than jelly.
Did I get this right, o assorted list-Brits?
Ania