Margaret Mahy (was "120 messages!!!")

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Mar 26 12:08:51 EST 2001

>And now that I think about it, isn't "The Great Piratical
>Rumbustification" also by Mahy?

Yes indeed, twinned with "The Librarian and the Robbers," with
wonderful illustrations by Quentin Blake.

Her books come in such a variety of sizes and shapes, it's hard to
put a finger on her. She reminds me of Jane Yolen in that regard, but
where with Yolen you sometimes get the feeling she leans a little
heavily on the "99% perspiration" theory of creativity, even in
Mahy's lesser books there's a wonderful lightness of spirit. I think
that's what makes her YA novels bearable... they almost all deal with
very heavy stuff, but they have not just a sense of humor but a
general hopefulness to them in the end. She reminds me a little of
LeGuin in this. And like LeGuin, even when she's writing novels with
no overt magic in them, there's an underlying magical mood that
permeates the book.

The Changeover is my favorite of the YAs. but I also loved Catalogue
of the Universe, Memory, the Tricksters, Underrunners...oh, heck,
everything she's written in the last 20 years is great.

Nat