Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Mar 26 11:54:16 EST 2001

O.k., now here come the Deep Secrets ;-) of German Jam...

Fruit preserves which are made from whole fruits are called "Marmelade". You
just take the fruits and sugar. There is special sugar for this, which contains
pectin (as Jennifer wrote concerning Jam). When you use this, you need less
sugar. My favorite is apricot...

Then we have "Gelee", which is made only of fruit juice, so you have no bits in
it, the consistence is different and it looks like "Wackelpudding" (that would
be Jell-O) but it tastes very different and does not contain gelatine. If you do
it yourself, it a lot of work, beacuse you have to make the fruit juice first,
which has to be clear. My grandmother used to do this with homegrown red
currants and raspberries, and *nothing* you can buy can be as good as this.

Bettina