Literature Abuse

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 11:15:17 EST 2001

>Emma wrote:
>> I think another sign of literature abuse is when you find yourself
talking
>> and thinking in the style of a book you've been reading - even if it's
old
>> English or includes adjectives unique to the novel.

>The sky failed to fall on Dorian's head as she wrote:
>But for me, it's not confined to books; I will come away from plays, films
>or TV programmes talking like the main characters, too.  I go all
>Californian after I've been watching "Buffy".

I get very quip-happy. Sadly not as funny, though. Book-style creeps into
things I write while reading them, rather than my speech (that I've
noticed.)

>The strangest looks I get are when I quote things (which I do all the time;
>it's a family habit), and those around me don't recognise the reference.  I
>can cope, I suppose, with blank looks when I say "you have no consideration
>for my nerves!", but I worry when no-ne recognises "a bear of very little
>brain". :-)

Ah, but isn't it great when people do recognise things? I treasure my
brother and SO because they can often top quotes. I love the bit in Busman's
Honeymoon where the Superintendent starts playing the Shakespeare game with
Peter.
Jennifer