Which Contains Far Too Many Confusions...

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 10:54:19 EST 2001

Melissa wrote:
>Jelly (the non-Jello kind) is made with gelatin also, as far as I know.
>While I've never stooped to making my own preserves, I have many friends
and
>relatives who do.  So I've seen it done and been the recipient of others'
>labors.  :)

As far as I know (IANAjam-maker) jam is usually set with pectin, not
gelatin. This is a gummy protein that occurs naturally in fruit (although
there isn't enough of it in some fruits to set jam and one has to add
extra). The sacred family recipies of your friends-and-relations may have
their quota of gelatin, of course.
Jennifer