Literature Abuse

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 09:15:14 EST 2001

Actually, I'm from the NW of England and I'd say Garridge - I think there's
probably quite a regional difference here as my husband is from the South
Coast and has a very posh Mum and says G(uh)Raahzh - I think this sounds odd
and rather affected as I do his pronunciation of crescent in which he sounds
the c.

He doesn't however say goff for golf or poi-try for poetry as his Mother
does (she is lovely by the way, a real English eccentric who grew up in a
border keep in Scotland which is rather reminiscent of Dodie Smith, I
suppose - I'm observing rather than criticising).

Alex