Literature Abusers

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Mar 26 07:12:16 EST 2001

> I was in hospital once and an old dear came across to see what I was doing.
> "Are you reading a book? I've got one of them."
>
> There is just no reply possible to that.
>
> Gill

Hmmm. You might say: "I 've even got *two*!"

Which reminds me of my literature teacher in school, who used to say: "The
trend towards the second book is getting stronger". He used the expression
"Zweitbuch", mirroring the term "Zweitwagen/auto" i.e. second car. And there*
is* a book called "Das Zweitbuch" with different literary texts in it. The
subtitle says: "For all people who already got one". Not only are the texts
good, but the faces of people who see it lying around are priceless.

Bettina