Literature Abuse

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 21:12:33 EST 2001

Gili said
> The British also backlash against French. Someone may even have noted this
> on this list before: think of words that obviously entered British English
> through French and you'll see they seem almost to go out of their way to
> pronounce it differently, when often the American pronounciation is actually
> closer to the French.
>
> Garage. Baggage. Cafe. (Yes, Brits actually pronounce this Kaiff).

I rather think its just a case of naturalising these words, they've
been around a long time. We pronounce the "age" as we do in
manage. However  in menage a trois for example we do pronounce
it as French.

Caf is just colloquial, familiar or even vulgar. In the soap
Eastenders everyone takes delight in calling Kathy's Cafe Kaf's Caf.

The English love the French, we do. They just don't like
us.............. better put a <g>.
                                           Ven.