which contains too many confusions

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 21:02:45 EST 2001

Jodel wrote

> So far as I can see, in standard usage, the one called "jelly" is just jam
> that doesn't have any seeds or pulp. (Strained fruit preserves) Jello is a
> whole different animal.

You're not going to believe this but: the guardian newspaper has a
notes and queries section. There's a discussion at the moment
about women whose job was making artificial pips for raspberry
jam out of wood. I presume this was for jam that was pretty much
ersatz.these poor women wore theuir fingers down rolling these
slivers of wood until they were smooth and pip like. This was a
Victorian sweated trade. Its bizarre to think it was cheaper to pay
women to make wooden pips than it was to get real raspberries.
Imagine reviewers responses if someone's cinderella heroine had
this job!

.
                                           Ven.