IGMC and intro

Liz Ottosson elizabethottosson at cableinet.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 10:51:46 EST 2001

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a couple of months, but it was starting to feel a bit
too much like eavesdropping, so I thought I'd better introduce myself...I'm
Liz; I know a few people here already from the GO list, and it has been
lovely "listening" to all of you chattering for the past few weeks! After
reading and loving Witch Week as a child, I only rediscovered DWJ over
Christmas, and can't believe I let the rest of her books pass me by - still,
it's nice to know there are so many I have left to read :o).

Paul wrote:

> IGMC is a 'net-abbreviation meaning "I've just said something
> outrageous/stupid/hokey, and I expect you'll be wanting me to go away
> now."
>
> The original expression was "I'll get my coat."

I love this! In their first series (1995?), The Fast Show (UK comedy) had a
sketch where each week someone would say something stupid, everyone would
stare at them and they'd say "I'll get me coat" - is this where the IGMC
comes from, anyone know? Probably not, but you never know.

Cheers all,
Liz O (aren't there a couple of Liz/Elizabeths here already?)