Words in the head

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 25 08:58:10 EST 2001

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> > On a related topic, am I the only one who, watching a movie, finds
> > oneself mentally drafting the novelisation?

> I do the opposite! I read books and imagine them transposed to film,
> or more rarely, stage.

I do that as well. (But figured it would be a good idea to start close
to an existing discussion.)

Thinking about it, I suspect it's an understanding thing. By trying to
transpose the story into another medium, I clarify what I know about
it, and so on.
(I remember some of my mental narration for early parts of 'The Sixth
Sense' being way off base, because of course I didn't understand what
was happening yet.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."