Literature Abuse

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:38:07 EST 2001

>From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>

>How interesting.  And here I thought the spelling shift backlash had only
>gone the other way, Americans against the Olde Countrie.

The British also backlash against French. Someone may even have noted this
on this list before: think of words that obviously entered British English
through French and you'll see they seem almost to go out of their way to
pronounce it differently, when often the American pronounciation is actually
closer to the French.

Garage. Baggage. Cafe. (Yes, Brits actually pronounce this Kaiff).