Tea

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 23 21:28:41 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Bill Edminster wrote:

>   There was a piece on National Public Radio once about vegemite and
> they interviewed an Australian woman who got very defensive about
> vegemite.  She said Americans shouldn't be so negative about
> vegemite when they eat something as disgusting as peanut butter and
> jelly.  Do Australians use "jelly" to describe something beside
> strained fruit preserves or is peanut butter and jelly really that
> strange a combination?

In Australia, the stuff one puts in sandwiches is "jam", and "jelly"
is translucent wobbly stuff, made from gelatin, that one has with
icecream for dessert.

But the woman may have known what she was talking about, and still
thought that peanut butter and strained fruit preserves was a strange
combination; I know I do. Perhaps we just have the wrong kind of
strained fruit preserves here.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."