Literature Abuse

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 23 21:17:53 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> I alternate between wishing someone would discover ten or twelve of
> her "missing" novels, and being brash enough to think I could write
> them myself...

You'd not be the first. Sequels to most of Austen's novels lurk on the
shelves of the local library. I avoid them.

S. N. Dyer's short story "Resolve and Resistance" is brill, though. Of
course, it's not a dead serious sequel-that-Austen-might-have-written;
it's about the French invasion of England, and the resistance movement
that forms at Pemberley.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."