Literature abuse

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Mar 23 15:03:47 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, deborah wrote:
> ObDwj: of course we all know the correct way to make key: ""with
> boiling water and two tea bags and only milk in the cup.  Curry,
> mustard, pepper and vinegar are strictly forbidden"
I always wondered why two tea bags were needed. I rather often use a
single tea bag for two cups of tea; I just let it steep for a while. (And
no, I don't like particularly weak tea.)

> when I read too much Robin McKinley I start thinking with a
> semicolon in every sentence.
Oh, good grief, me too! Although authors' sentence patterns tend to show
up more in things I write than in things I think or say--I definitely use
more semicolons after reading Robin McKinley (although I'm fond of
semicolons anyway); and my favorite of the poems I've written spilled out
of my head after I'd read "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" about
twenty times.

My current problem with thinking/saying things is that I'm stage managing
a production of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" which goes up next
week, and so I'm in the stage of quoting madly whenever something reminds
me of a particular line, which happens quite often.

"Pirates could happen to anyone."

"...when the wind is southerly."
"And the weather's clear."