Literature Abuse

Fri Mar 23 12:28:55 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:21:09 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Me too.  I actually found myself saying (inside the head) something
>along the lines of having nothing really with which to accuse myself,
>except of being a little indiscreet.  When writing an essay on Jane
>Austen.  Amazing how it's never as _good_ as JA though, isn't it?  ;)

I alternate between wishing someone would discover ten or twelve of her
"missing" novels, and being brash enough to think I could write them
myself....

>But embarrassingly enough, when I went to send the essay off to our
>tutor, her address was given as Mrs M--, and I suddenly realised that
>I'd spelled Mrs as Mrs. all through the essay, and indeed, all
>through my life!  Even my old Concise Oxford Dictionary didn't spell
>it that way, although Jane Austen and Dickens do.  I'm _still_ a
>little surprised to find out that the spelling changed and I never
>noticed.

I'd always thought this was an American/British thing, as Mrs. and Mr. is
correct usage here, but in the British-published books I get, Mrs is
standard.  Funny that you do it the other way...

American reprints of Dickens and Austen and others sometimes "standardize"
the spelling and punctuation, so I have two copies of _Pride and Prejudice_,
one for each style.  I like it pure.  :)

Melissa Proffitt