Literature Abuse

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 23 07:21:09 EST 2001

>On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:51:32 +1000, Emma Comerford wrote:
>
>>Hi, I'm also new to the list, although I've been belatedly reading digests
>>for a while.
>
>Welcome to the list!
>
>>I think another sign of literature abuse is when you find yourself talking
>>and thinking in the style of a book you've been reading - even if it's old
>>English or includes adjectives unique to the novel. It causes strange
>>looks...maybe not as many as "she said" though!
>
>I notice myself doing this all the time...like now with John Crowley, and
>especially Jane Austen.  Usually I manage to keep my mouth shut.  :)
>Confined to the space inside my skull, it does no real damage.  I think.

Me too.  I actually found myself saying (inside the head) something
along the lines of having nothing really with which to accuse myself,
except of being a little indiscreet.  When writing an essay on Jane
Austen.  Amazing how it's never as _good_ as JA though, isn't it?  ;)

But embarrassingly enough, when I went to send the essay off to our
tutor, her address was given as Mrs M--, and I suddenly realised that
I'd spelled Mrs as Mrs. all through the essay, and indeed, all
through my life!  Even my old Concise Oxford Dictionary didn't spell
it that way, although Jane Austen and Dickens do.  I'm _still_ a
little surprised to find out that the spelling changed and I never
noticed.

Hallie.