Tea

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 23 07:04:24 EST 2001

>I believe in Oz and NZ the nearest thing is vegemite.
>Being an old hippie, I buy yeast extract (same thing minus fancy brand name)
>in wholefood shops. I used to hate it, but now I like it. Is that sick and
>depraved, Hallie?
>Ania

Vegemite and yeast extract sound quite benign, next to Bovril &
Marmite.  It's the smell, and the vile associations with the bovine
carcasses used to make it which really gets to me.  (Reading Great
Expectations at the mo, and there's  a lovely line in which Pip says
that he's fed: "those obscure corners of pork of which the pig, when
living, had had the least reason to be vain."

Funnily enough, there's an ad for Bovril on the telly, which has a
girl getting herself all prettied up to go sit on the sofa with the
bf.  He's meanwhile sitting there drinking a cup of Bovril.  As soon
as she gets snuggled up to him, she smells it, and goes rushing out
of the room in acute nausea.  (I might have the genders confused or
something, but that's the general gist of it.)

Hallie.