Literature Abusers

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Mar 22 17:23:32 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:32:27 -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>>Your example is kind of innocent.  You're not driving at a red
>>light--perfectly reasonable time to read, IMO.  I've actually read while
>>driving 75 mph down the freeway.  I made the mistake of not packing the
>>latest (this was years ago, mind) Robert Jordan in my suitcase in the trunk.
>>Temptation overcame me on a long stretch of freeway just north of St. George
>>Where the road is long, straight, sparsely inhabited and divided from
>>oncoming traffic.  Well, rationalize it how you want, I read for an hour
>>while driving before I finally gave that niggling voice in my head screaming
>>"YOU ARE AN IDIOT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN THIS TO A COP" any
>>heed...  Oh, I was driving a big old cadillac, BTW--wasn't in personal fear
>>of injury...
>
>You did WHAT?
>
>Where was I?  Please tell me I wasn't in the car with you, I beg you.

I don't remember surrounding details.  I remember the car (it kind of stands
out) and the scenery (ugh, all that empty sage) and the book and that it
took me an hour to stop.  Must have been shortly after we were first
married.  I remember I was driving back from Phoenix.  Can't place it better
than that...

>Melissa Proffitt
>(who is hearing this little story for the first time)

Obviously, it was information you didn't need at the time :)

Jacob