Literature Abusers

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Mar 22 14:52:35 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:39:42 -0500, Miranda K. Smith wrote:

>I don't think I've ever walked into a lamppost, but I know
>I've come damn near to walking into various things
>before. Still, I don't think I've ever really wiped out
>because I was walking & reading. Has anyone ever
>noticed the utterly inane things people tend to say when
>they see you reading a book while walking? It seems
>to be one of those sights that compels stupid comments
>from acquaintances, mostly variants on, "Watch where
>you're going!" issued in humourous tones. Well, if I
>cared where I was going more than I cared about what
>was happening in my book, I would be watching where
>I was going, wouldn't I? :-) But seriously, I think it's
>just an expression of the jealousy of lesser souls who
>cannot do two things at the same time. Though I've
>never tried walking, reading, _and_ chewing gum. :-)

I have very wide peripheral vision (that includes up and down as well as
side to side), so I used to walk and read all the time.  To and from school,
on errands, whenever I was walking and had a book handy (which was whenever
I was walking).  The only exception was when I was walking with someone
else.  I've never hit anything, and I gained a reputation for radar by
avoiding things tossed in my path...

Jacob Proffitt